Pro Wrestling Only

Is TNA the worst wrestling promotion in history?

Loss

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That truly is appalling, for a company with twelve years to build up a fanbase and live television every single week. TNA is beyond retrievable now, it is a case of when not if. The brand is too stale, too old, too damaged. We have established that nobody is going to compete with WWE in the modern market, but TNA didn't even offer an alternative creatively. It was the same old, same old, and they really began to decline rapidly when they started singing anyone remotely assosciated with WWE. They should have stuck with getting the bigger stars and building up their own talent.

Wrestling isn't like soccer, where Manchester City can spent a few hundred million on players and compete. It is art and television, and if the last decade has taught is anything it is that you need a brand, an image and a definitive product, regardless of what talent you put out there. Hulk Hogan, Kurt Angle or whomever isn't going to jolt ratings, not in the long run - the only thing to do that is by putting on a unique, brilliantly written product that creates a buzz and gets people talking.

They don't even look remotely modern. There is space for a second promotion, but you aren't going to get there if you employ Eric Bischoff and Vince Russo or Christian or Mike Tenay or Ken fucking Kennedy. Try something new for fucks sake. At least ROH catered to a niche for a while, had a specific feel and structure to their shows that pleased the fanbase, even if it wasn't a fanbase that was going to make you money in the long run. Who do TNA cater to? Who do they look to cater to? I doubt they even know, which is half the problem.

When this thred first started the answer was 'no'. They had grown as a company, put on some good matches, and there was a decent amount of talent amongst the awful booking, dreadful content and constant ineptitude. Now, seven more years of embarassment later, the answer has to be 'Yes'. Has any company squandered so many opportunities to compete? Wasted so much big name talent? Even when the WWE was at a creative and commercial low during 2006-2010 they failed to make any sort of mark.

So, they are still doing angles out of terrible Kane shit from the late 90's/early 00's ? Involving Abyss, who's been the worst garbage monster ever, an inept mix of third rate Mankind and second rate Kane with no charisma nor understanding of working. And Dixie Carter is not only the worst promoter ever at this point, but she's also a terrible performer from what I've seen. The promotion looks like they're on the verge of dying, they're like an out of date, bloated indy promotion without the cool indy workers. The mere idea that Jarrett even wanted to buy back into this is puzzling.

The worst part about the Abyss shit is that they actually had something good with him doing the Joseph Park thing. But I'm not watching TV every week, that may have run it's course by now. But by no means does that mean go back to the god awful Abyss character.

As far as Jarrett wanting to buy it back, I think it just had sentimental value to him since he's the one who started it. Plus if you can take the TV and the roster you could just decide to completely revamp the show. New camera angles, new lighting, new set, new ring rope color scheme, NEW ANNOUNCERS, nothing should look or feel the same about the show. Maybe even work some angle like the Eric Embry tearing down the World Class Banner thing. Pretty much an open and honest "Fuck TNA they sucked, we're _this_ now"

The only way to fix TNA is to turn on iMPACT one day and have it be like you were back in the territory days and sat down in Kansas City to watch your Central States Wrestling show and they replaced the feed with Mid-South Wrestling.

I get genuinely uncomfortable watching Impact when Dixie Carter is doing her thing. Even before the news came out about why they didn't sell it was frustrating to watch because of how obviously pandering to her they were, but now? You're super wealthy and your personal satisfaction comes from your parents blowing money on a vanity playfighting company where you can play executive and actress to the point you had to keep your TV role if they sold?

I get genuinely uncomfortable watching Impact when Dixie Carter is doing her thing. Even before the news came out about why they didn't sell it was frustrating to watch because of how obviously pandering to her they were, but now? You're super wealthy and your personal satisfaction comes from your parents blowing money on a vanity playfighting company where you can play executive and actress to the point you had to keep your TV role if they sold?

To be fair to Janice and Bob, I wouldn't want her anywhere near their main business. :)

We know that she had to have a role on the booking team and on-screen if they sold, but do we know what that had to entail? Like, could Jarrett and Keith make her a part of the booking team but not actually listen to any of her ideas? Could her screen time be spent in a dunk tank? If you shame her into quitting, is the agreed upon deal still met?

We know that she had to have a role on the booking team and on-screen if they sold, but do we know what that had to entail? Like, could Jarrett and Keith make her a part of the booking team but not actually listen to any of her ideas? Could her screen time be spent in a dunk tank? If you shame her into quitting, is the agreed upon deal still met?

They were fine with giving her a face-saving figurehead role. When the Carters said she needed to still be an on-screen character, Jarrett and Keith balked because that was dictating creative.

I think it's fitting. The promomtion started out as a vanity plaything for Jeffey's ego. It's transitioned over the years to playing to the ego of Kurt, Dixie, Hogan and Eric at various times along with people beneath them. Perfect. :)

I think it's fitting. The promomtion started out as a vanity plaything for Jeffey's ego. It's transitioned over the years to playing to the ego of Kurt, Dixie, Hogan and Eric at various times along with people beneath them. Perfect. :)

Every single one of those other people were trying to make themselves indispensable to make more money, though.

They were fine with giving her a face-saving figurehead role. When the Carters said she needed to still be an on-screen character, Jarrett and Keith balked because that was dictating creative.

I was just curious if it was possible - provided Jarrett and Keith had actually thought it through that far - to buy the company and give Dixie the same deal that Vic Mackey got in the last episode of The Shield. She gets to be part of the creative team and an on-screen character, but she doesn't get to actually do any of the things that made her want those positions in the first place. I don't know if the Carters stipulated that her ideas had to be listened to or that her on-screen character had to be presented as important and/or respectable. If not, and you're willing to take on her salary, it seems like this was something they could've exploited rather than letting it be a dealbreaker.

It sounds like Dixie wanted to maintain her position as she definitely wanted to still have power within the company. I would not be surprised if Dixie's contract had some stipulation to it that prevented her from being removed from his position before 10 years unless something screwy happened (Carter selling meth to Hardy, pimping out Rockstar Spud in Dupont, etc.).JJ/Keith did the right thing not to play into the delusion because it would have just been headaches for everyone involved. I've given up hope for TNA and so have a ton of others. 1500 people went to Lockdown because TNA feels that its smart to:

1. Have Jeff Hardy (the company's biggest merch seller and one of their biggest acts) play his "Williow" character.

2. Book Magnus as a 'paper champion' with zero credible wins since winning the belt

3. Run another company takeover angle.

4. Have a ton of former WHC come off as jobbers/non-factors due to booking/presentation/etc.

5. !!!!!AUTHORITY FIGURES!!!!

6. Keep Mike Tenay and Taz as the voice or the product and keep the overal presentation of the WWE as WWE lit as possible.

2. Book Magnus as a 'paper champion' with zero credible wins since winning the belt

Heels do not need credible wins. They just need their bullshit wins to be booked creatively enough that it puts heat on the wrestler and not the booking.

Was just skimming around and saw a headline that read "Magnus on the pressures of being TNA Champion"

I imagine the quote in there is "Tons of pressure to bring it for those 400 or so fans, I mean almost half of them paid for tickets, so you know they expect a show."

• 2 weeks later...

Eric Young and Abyss had a brawl to start Impact tonight that was maybe my favorite thing I've ever seen in TNA. May have been Abyss' best performance (whatever that means as the worst national worker of the last decade), and EY takes some nasty spills and gets the life choked out of him with a chain. TNA cuts away right at the end of it but this was a fine 7 minutes of wrestling.

Eric Young is actually a good wrestler. You would not know it from watching him in TNA, but I have seen him in enough indie matches to know he can work.

I used to watch him live, monthly, at University. He would have these awesome twenty plus minute matches with Tyson Dux, Shawn Spears and Cody Deaner. They were super stiff and were really well built matches. It's the gimmick that ruins him in TNA.

I've thought EY was one of the few worthwhile TNA guys for awhile now, but he looked really great in the Abyss brawl. All his shots we landing really stiff. He's always shown his bumping side in TNA, but this was the first time I've ever seen him really lay in shots.