Pro Wrestling Only

Is TNA the worst wrestling promotion in history?

Loss

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Honestly, I haven't watched Impact for months but hearing EY won the title got me to "find" the past few episodes. I've never hated TNA and in fact I've really liked a lot of aspects of the promotion. My biggest problem with it is for some reason I always just forget what's going on. Even if I miss a week of WWE and only follow it through recaps I never forget what was going on but then flip to TNA and I can be watching Impact every week and forget something that happened in an episode I watched a few days before.

Let's just make fun of the ridiculous rip off booking that is this wonderful last gasp of a dying promotion, and not bash Eric Young. He's a legit great wrestler and good dude.

Agreed. The copycat booking is really obvious and silly but it is cool to see Young with the title. I've always enjoyed him, even at his most ridiculous.

The funniest copycat angle is when they aped Summer of Punk with Aries and it actually got over really well, so they rehashed NWO with Aces and Eights and squashed it. It was like they didn't know how to react to something they were doing working.

The funniest copycat angle is when they aped Summer of Punk with Aries and it actually got over really well, so they rehashed NWO with Aces and Eights and squashed it. It was like they didn't know how to react to something they were doing working.

Then they re-aped the CM Punk angle with AJ Styles and the contract issue story.

Let's just make fun of the ridiculous rip off booking that is this wonderful last gasp of a dying promotion, and not bash Eric Young. He's a legit great wrestler and good dude.

Agreed. The copycat booking is really obvious and silly but it is cool to see Young with the title. I've always enjoyed him, even at his most ridiculous.

Yeah, he can be fun. But that doesn't mean he should be world champion. For the most part of his TNA decade he has been presented and booked as comedy relief. How can anybody take him seriously coming out of nowhere to win the World title? It's absurd booking from TNA, as per norm.

Russo HAS TO BE back. He fucking loved him some Eric Young.

I like Eric Young. :) I felt he was one of the better guys on the roster last time I watched, honestly. I thought he was funny when he was a comedy character and I liked him as a serious threat when he was the leader of World Elite as well. He had a sick Piledriver! That being said, although I like Eric Young, that won't make me watch TNA. I learned my lesson about TNA a long time ago.

Then they re-aped the CM Punk angle with AJ Styles and the contract issue story.

This is probably the funniest one to me. Meltzer kept saying, "they think WWE dropped the ball on the Punk story and they want to do a better version of it" and then they completely dropped the ball on it, worse than WWE.

There was also Dixie Carter becoming Stephanie McMahon literally just as Steph was put back into a tv role as an evil boss.

TNA's front office right now is filled with bitter ex-WWE guys who think they're smarter than they actually are, and their "ideas" are an attempt to one up the WWE. Even if any of this shit was any good, you're already looked at as a joke in comparison to WWE, why make it worse?

I'm never going to watch this episode of Impact because I simply don't care. It's a dead end depressing promotion and a waste of my time. I've given them about 50 2nd chances over the years.....I'm just completely apathetic now.

I think Meltzer said it best on the last audio show he did with Bryan. Paraphrased......"It's insanely stupid....but it doesn't even matter. The belt is worthless, nobody cares who the champ is, and nobody on the roster makes the least bit of difference"

The one thing EY does have going for him is that outdoor show he has.....which of course to my knowledge TNA completely dropped the ball on promoting and using him well when the show first hit the air and got good reviews. Maybe this is a publicity stunt because they just realized he has crossover potential? I'd drive myself crazy trying to figure out why TNA does what they do

The Hogan/Bischoff era obviously did a lot of damage to TNA, but I think the build to Sting/Hogan was one of the best things I've seen them do storywise. They got a lot of mileage out of it by having Sting go heel for a year because he didn't trust Hogan, then having him be vindicated by the Hogan turn for another year leading up to it. There was some regrettable stuff too for sure (Joker Sting, Bischoff being held hostage by a bird, Mr. Anderson), but it was still better than it should have been. There isn't two years of build for anything anymore, so it's shocking that TNA of all places pulled it off even if part of it was due to Hogan's injuries.

Just checked out the Dixie segment where she talks about being responsible for making "the beard" fashionable. And in the main event, an Abyss match (gasp !) involving barbwire and bumping into thumbtacks. IN 2014 !!!!!!!!! Seriously, this shit is just as godawful and irrelevant as anything from WCW in 2000. And I know what I'm talking about. Russo gets a paycheck to be a consultant ? Brillant on his part, I guess. I have no word.

Yet they have outlasted WCW already. It's amazing. (that also says something about the ultra-slow evolution, or should I say the status-quo in the pro-wrestling scene since 2001)

Holy shit. I had not realized that TNA has existed longer than WCW (dating WCW from 1991 not from the '88 Turner Buyout). That is just fuckin depressing.

Yet they have outlasted WCW already. It's amazing. (that also says something about the ultra-slow evolution, or should I say the status-quo in the pro-wrestling scene since 2001)

Holy shit. I had not realized that TNA has existed longer than WCW (dating WCW from 1991 not from the '88 Turner Buyout). That is just fuckin depressing.

Utterly mind blowing. Can't believe they're been here for so long.

PWI says they gave Young the belt "so that they can do some cross promotion with his Animal Planet show, Off The Hook: Extreme Catches. Season three of the show debuts on Sunday June 16, and the plan is to spend the next two months getting Young over as champion to coincide with the return of the show."

I don't even know

The Hogan/Bischoff era obviously did a lot of damage to TNA, but I think the build to Sting/Hogan was one of the best things I've seen them do storywise. They got a lot of mileage out of it by having Sting go heel for a year because he didn't trust Hogan, then having him be vindicated by the Hogan turn for another year leading up to it. There was some regrettable stuff too for sure (Joker Sting, Bischoff being held hostage by a bird, Mr. Anderson), but it was still better than it should have been. There isn't two years of build for anything anymore, so it's shocking that TNA of all places pulled it off even if part of it was due to Hogan's injuries.

Agreed, that was great and lead to a better than would be expected match between the two that was a total blast to watch along with Flair's involvment. Then the post-match angle led to one of the biggest pops in TNA history, loved it.

• 2 weeks later...

Read through this entire thread last weekend (great stuff!) and while I agree that lots of TNA is utterly detestable gunk (yes, gunk!) I think the May-December 2012 period deserves more love. The Bound for Glory matches on Impact weekly were rock solid and the PPVs were always worth your time. Kudos to Joe, Angle, Roode, Aries, Hardy, Bully Ray, Styles, Daniels and Kaz for that brief resurgence. Loved it.