Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

The WWWF had long featured heroic stars like Jim Londos and Antonio Rocca to bring in the patronage of New York's disparate ethnic groups, but when Bruno came back, the longstanding champion of the territory was "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers a tanned, blond heel who, in retrospect, may have subliminally represented the unchanging Anglo institution as he fought off immigrant upstarts. The Italian immigration wave overwhelmed this model, however, and it made the arrival of an Italian champion all but mathematic. When Vince Sr. finally lured Bruno back to New York, it was with the promise of great money and fame.3 You could argue that the Italian onset in New York was neatly paralleled in Bruno's 1963 championship-winning match, when he stampeded Rogers in a shocking 48 seconds. It's purported to be not only a shoot fight but also the little-known Original Screwjob, a precursor to the infamous 1997 Bret HartShawn Michaels match in Montreal. Vince Sr. sent Bruno out to take the belt from the recalcitrant Rogers, who had been told prior to the match that he would win. Bruno supposedly said "we can do this the easy way or the hard way," and Rogers, understandably perplexed, was subjected to the hard way.

Good lord. I think the only accurate statement in that paragraph is that Buddy Rogers was a tanned, blond heel.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier stuff, usually the ones where he's typing with one hand on the keyboard and one hand on his cock while waxing about CM Punk, have been bad and unconsciously fanboyish. I think this is actually the worst thing he's ever written, simply because he's so over his head in it.

Has he explained why every damn article he writes is in some way related to Punk? I get that he's a big stan of his but my god. It's February of 2013 and he still thinks Punk created something that lasted and boosted business? It's like he keeps pushing this idea that we are in a new Era or that Punk could still lead us that way.

This is the first time I've read something from him were I couldn't even read past the 3rd paragraph, shit was beyond horrible.

Is Bill Simmons going to Mania? Would it be too forward to beat Shoemaker about the face with my résumé in front of him in the press box to try to get some gigs at Grantland?

The way to get on Simmons' good side is to do the following:

1. Convince Larry Bird that he should let Simmons blow him.

2. Write something with a bunch of silly and dated pop culture references.

3. Convince Tom Brady that he should let Simmons blow him.

4. Pretend that liking reality TV in an ironic way is still cool.

5. Convince any member of the 2004 Red Sox that he should let Simmons blow him.

6. Write a perfectly fine 1,000-word column, then rewrite it into a 10,000-word navel-gazing mess just because you can.

7. Tell Simmons that it's bullshit a newspaper in Boston never hired him to cover a pro beat back in the day.

I can't stop reading Adrian Street's set. I bought the first book and I thought it was fascinating even though it really doesn't have much wrestling content. Street is so hyperbolic in his flair for story telling it keeps you interested in subjects you may not be interested in... like working in a coal mine. The 2nd book has him making it on his own in London and starting in wrestling. More great stories even though the wrestling content is short.

Jake and DDP trying to convince Scott Hall to join them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJbobngftqU

Kevin Nash on twitter commenting on Hall and his current state

I love everyone telling me about what Scott needs, been dealing with this for 20years.Scott will get healthy when Scott wants 2 period

Yeah Over a million dollars at the worlds best rehab facilities I've always said what about yoga

This has nothing to do with me.This is on Scott and him alone.He knows he's loved.I've been there since day one.Nothing I can do.Only Scott

If you have not lived with addiction,then you should shut the fuck up.Pray...really my prayers go unheard?Love 2 one that loves not himself

I have seen the damage done,family,children how dare you sit at you're keyboard and judge me or those that have suffered along with this man

Scott told everyone 2 months ago he was going to DDP'S going to be there that weekend.Show me the tape when he walks in the door.

Got to love twitter,one of my best friends is "going" to Atlanta and some Mark asks me what do I think of the shield.Why they going to rehab

Jake was clean when he went to Dallas,Scott will die during the detox stage.That's real world not bullshit

Does anyone realize Scott will die if not taken to a hospital and clinically detoxed?You fucking idiots......Yoga great.20 years of abuse?

Did Scott know he was on that call live,that's fucked up.I would never have my friend saying over and over he lives on vodka,don't work 4 me

Q: i really hope Scott gets the help he needs but do u believe he will actually go to Atlanta to stay with DDP? - A: NO

This is my friends life,not a PSA.You want the truth it's not for you to know.

Update from Jake and DDP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B67UQG0vp1Y...=youtu.be&a

Awesome YouTube find:

Clipped raw footage of the Jacques Rougeau vs Pierre Outlette match from the Montreal forum. The editing is a little weird as a few spots are shown twice, but what's shown is awesome and the heat is insane. I really want to see the whole thing and Phil should do a "The Motherfucking Internet" review of it at Segunda Caida.

Speaking of YouTube: I got my review copy of the new Bret Hart set and the Andre match is ripped from YouTube since they don't have it. Really.

Speaking of YouTube: I got my review copy of the new Bret Hart set and the Andre match is ripped from YouTube since they don't have it. Really.

lololololololololol

You gotta think Landy was thrilled to finally get a pristine copy of this match...and now it turns out they just used a rip of his YouTube upload!

Where do you think they are getting the GCW from before 1983. This is nothing new

Bret vs Buzz is the same noisy dubbed down copy everyone has.

You have the DVD or the Blu-Ray version?

DVD. WWE doesn't send out review copies of the Blu-Rays for some reason.