Current WWE

Smack2k

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very interesting. I'm assuming that he must have got a hell of a deal and/or some pretty big assurances about his future direction to publicly announce he's done with MMA completely too.

As for mania, does this change the complexion of the main event at all? Brock re-signing does throw the result of the main more into question.

This announcement has probably piqued my interest more in the main event than anything we've seen on television.

Various outlets reporting that Lesnar has re-signed with the WWE.

And, once again, the WWE has booked themselves into a corner that everyone else in the world saw a mile away.

Had they actually had Bryan win the Rumble, like the fans wanted, they could have easily had Lesnar defeat him at Mania and I don't think even the mega-Bryan supporters would have been TOO bothered by it. I mean, we're talking about a guy who beat Taker, who manhandled Cena, who made Big Show and Jericho look like nobodies. The fans wanted Bryan to get his shot and, had he received it and lost clean in a heroic effort, I don't think the company would have *lost* much (especially when you consider the longterm plan seems to be to make sure Bryan isn't a main eventer anyway).

But, no, they got nervous. They said "Reigns is the man and he's going to be the man NOW."

Sunday night, we're going to see 1 of 2 two things - (1) Reigns is going to win the title and Lesnar, who might've just got one of the biggest money deals in company history, is no longer The Unstoppable Beast that they spent a year creating. Essentially, they're back to where they were after his first match back - the loss to Cena - where the WWE just paid a large sum of money for something they plan on instantly devalueing.

Or (2) Lesnar retains and the Roman Reigns Era is put on hold indefinitely. This means the idea of Reigns being "The Next Cena" would no longer be guaranteed as all sorts of things could happen before Reigns got his redemption. I could easily see the same company brass who were 100% behind Reigns last week ("Fan response be damned! We need to take the belt off Brock!") change their tune now that the safe money is obviously to keep the belt with Lesnar ("We can't take the belt off Brock - listen to the fans!"). It has happened plenty of times where the WWE "cooled" on a guy believing they could always recharge him and strap "the rocket" back on later (as one could argue they'd do with Reigns) only for them to realize that its not that easy.

Sunday's main event just got a ton more interesting - but only because its fun to watch the WWE try to book themselves out of yet another shitty situation they put themselves in.

Oh, and to make things even shittier, this news story broke on ESPN. Not the Network. Not WWE.com. Not Monday Night RAW. Even in the Reality Era, the WWE failed to capitalize on the realest, most important storyline going into their biggest show of the year.

Oh, and to make things even shittier, this news story broke on ESPN. Not the Network. Not WWE.com. Not Monday Night RAW. Even in the Reality Era, the WWE failed to capitalize on the realest, most important storyline going into their biggest show of the year.

This was fantastic mainstream exposure for Mania. They spent 10 minutes on SportsCenter covering pro wrestling.

I listened to Bray do a radio interview promoting Mania in character. The hosts, who are big WWE fans, were good sports about keeping it kayfabe, but Bray brought absolutely nothing. If his promos are heavily scripted and they're trying to protect the character then they shouldn't hang him out to dry with promotional stuff. They were easy layup questions about the Undertaker match and he giggled and muttered through it for 3 minutes. I heard he was good in character on Jericho's pod, so maybe it was just jet lag.

This was fantastic mainstream exposure for Mania. They spent 10 minutes on SportsCenter covering pro wrestling.
Yeah, no idea how that was a negative. It was fucking great for them. This ESPN partnership they have apparently forged could help them out. It wasn't "broken" by ESPN, it was Brock Lesnar on ESPN breaking a WWE story. That's what they wanted.

If the end result of all of this "Will he sign or is sitting cageside next to Dana just too much fun?" stuff is that Brock worked Michelle Beadle and co. into thinking he was announcing a UFC return, when in fact he was promoting Mania six days before the show for 10 mins on Sportscenter, then he is an all-time great con artist. The stuff Vince's dreams are made of.

In my opinion this pretty much guarantees that Rock is showing for the main event. But will he help Reigns win the title or just be there to set up next year in Dallas. Rock vs Brock is definitely a match that fits in Jerry World

Who is clamoring for this match exactly?

I don't even think it's a big match from a casual standpoint. It's happened before. Both guys are part time. Last time Rock was around, he was gassed up & blown up about five minutes in. The build-up would feature two guys that are not able to be around each week. Neither man, nor WWE, gains anything from either guy winning or losing that helps them in the future. I just don't think that match sells 100,000 tickets.

It just seems like another disaster to me.

I listened to Bray do a radio interview promoting Mania in character. The hosts, who are big WWE fans, were good sports about keeping it kayfabe, but Bray brought absolutely nothing. If his promos are heavily scripted and they're trying to protect the character then they shouldn't hang him out to dry with promotional stuff. They were easy layup questions about the Undertaker match and he giggled and muttered through it for 3 minutes. I heard he was good in character on Jericho's pod, so maybe it was just jet lag.

For all the shit we give WWE about their stop-start pushes, I'm definitely ready for them to give up on Bray Wyatt and toss him in the Adam Rose/Fandango trash heap.

In my opinion this pretty much guarantees that Rock is showing for the main event. But will he help Reigns win the title or just be there to set up next year in Dallas. Rock vs Brock is definitely a match that fits in Jerry World

Who is clamoring for this match exactly?

Vince McMahon and Dave Meltzer.

For all the shit we give WWE about their stop-start pushes, I'm definitely ready for them to give up on Bray Wyatt and toss him in the Adam Rose/Fandango trash heap.

As somebody who no longer watches I'm curius. . Is Wyatt still over with the live crowds? How are his promos received?

I think Bray could be tolerable if he went face and dropped some of the gimmicky shit from his promos.

I'd kind of get a kick out of a Brock/Rock two man part time power trip stable.

They need 1 or 2 more to start a stable and one of them could actually be there every week. Batista and someone else.

Jericho?

No jobbers.

As somebody who no longer watches I'm curius. . Is Wyatt still over with the live crowds? How are his promos received?

I think Bray could be tolerable if he went face and dropped some of the gimmicky shit from his promos.

I wanna say his entrance package (GAAARUNK, Latern, Music) is over but the rest of the production is flagging because he doesn't have The Family to fill time for him.

He's too good of a worker for them to just drown in the river. He needs character motivation, something that they've ALWAYS failed to really give him.

Roman has tons of charisma when he isn't being hamstrung by the lustful eyes of Vince McMahon and his gaggle of writers.

I think this is an example of how deceptive the wrestling bubble can be. It's probably easy to forget that the personality they see in regular interactions with the wrestlers isn't necessarily the personality the masses see.

He's too good of a worker for them to just drown in the river. He needs character motivation, something that they've ALWAYS failed to really give him.

He's not that good of a worker that they need to keep him around. He's had some very good matches, but when those matches were with Daniel Bryan, the Shield, and while with Harper and Rowan, I don't think that's much of an accomplishment.

After watching Roman Reigns on Conan O'Brien it's clear as day how WWE has completely fucked him over in terms of his character. Dude was great, felt comfortable, was funny and showed charisma.

He's pretty great. That's why I have actually started pulling for him to click, and I feel so much of the vitriol is just misdirected at him (not necessarily here, but on the whole). He doesn't write the stuff and it's not like he politicked to win the Rumble, or something.