Pro Wrestling Only

Everyone should submit a ballot

Grimmas

That's funny. I'm having a problem getting to #100 :)

I'm currently stuck at 88 probably because I find lucha AND joshi AND puro to be widely overrated styles.

'MURICA

I stopped at 50 last time I was working on it. I've also struggled to get to 100. Which is funny as I've been watching for almost thirty years at this point.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently stuck at 88 probably because I find lucha AND joshi AND puro to be widely overrated styles.

'MURICA

Where did you rank Mighty Atlas?

I never know when you are being serious or not but bless you for introducing me to this. Atlas was doing brilliant stuff here that could be used today with no modification for the times and still work. His character is crystal clear before he and Gagne ever even touch each other with the awesome bit with the wardrobe hanger. The match up has a clear finisher-built narrative with Atlas going for the full nelson, Verne respecting the hold in displaying a desperate need to escape, Atlas finally getting it to end the first fall (demonstrating the reason he keeps going for it) and then Verne finally coming off with a major counter because Atlas is one dimensional and getting the win. Just a clean, clear narrative function on display. Atlas is now ranked ... fourth?

89! DONE!

The deadline is Wrestlemania next year? Cool, I'll probably end up submitting a ballot then.

My problem is that - with most of my hobbies - I can be really into watching and writing about wrestling for six months, then I'll end up dropping it for another six months without watching a thing. That's pretty evident by the 1996 yearbook section, where I've been plugging away at that since 2011 (and every year I seem to say, "maybe I can finish the set before the end of the year," without ever actually doing it). I also have a few blind spots (Puerto Rico, WoS and modern indies, basically) that I wanted to do something about before the deadline, but I assumed I wouldn't have enough time. But if there's still about six months (and I'm starting to watch stuff again) then I feel better about getting together a ballot I'd be content with.

• 4 months later...

I've read this thread and I'm 99% sure I know the answer to the question of whether or not I should submit a ballot, but, and I hate to be that guy, I must ask...

Should you still submit a ballot if you haven't actually participated in any of the watchings and are completely lacking in any and all knowledge outside of mainstream US wrestling?

I've read this thread and I'm 99% sure I know the answer to the question of whether or not I should submit a ballot, but, and I hate to be that guy, I must ask...

Should you still submit a ballot if you haven't actually participated in any of the watchings and are completely lacking in any and all knowledge outside of mainstream US wrestling?

I would find that ballot to be extremely interesting. Please submit one.

Please do submit a ballot DMJ. More than anything the final result benefits from having as many different voices as possible. I agree with Dylan that people should watch stuff out of their comfort zone and that the process is important, although not exactly for the benefit of the final result (which benefits from this), but more for the experience it brings to the individual in experiencing different things and giving themselves the chance to maybe discover something that appeals to them. I've seen a lot of people mention that they have areas where they lack the desired depth and scope (and the time to rectify that to their satisfaction) to be able to include wrestlers from certain styles or areas. And that's actually alright, in fact, more than alright. Using myself as an example, I have a few areas where I would say I lack depth and scope to really dig and probe into them for a ranking. But there are a few areas (one in particular that I know comes to mind more readily :D) where I am totally comfortable in making assessments. That's where I can make my contribution to the final result.

The way I view it is that, it's not my role to be objective in compiling whatever ends up being my final list. That falls to the final tallied results that carry the makeup of all of us that submit a ballot and provides a static snapshot of what was the opinion in that moment. That final list, that will probably looked back upon with different parts of curiosity, agreement, anger, sheer what the hell where they thinking, and even some "Binro was right" hindsight. Whatever burden of "objectivity" that is part of this project ultimately falls on the final result. My responsibility is to be consistent and true to what my experiences and opinions are when compiling my ballot. The pushing to seek out different things to expand, reshape, rethink, discover and renew what comprises my wrestling fandom is a heck of an opportunity this project provides. But I'll never see all that there is to see and cover all that would need to be covered. That's reality. And that's where having all these different voices also chiming in is important. Any final list will never be perfect. It will never please everyone. It will never truly be a definitive answer. But, it should be an honest snapshot of those willing to add their voice. It should also be a font of further discussion and discovery.

This project's end result depends on what goes into it, and it is more rich for having as many ballots as possible that are true and consistent for what each voter values (be it expansive or niche). So if you're on the fence about making and submitting a ballot because you feel that you don't have enough ground covered (and I'm someone who resembles this remark), please don't let that stop you. Just be sure that your list is honest and consistent with who you are and where you are as a wrestling fan.

Thanks for this post. I was worried about by lack of knowledge outside of the US. I have seen my share of Japan, but very little Lucha. I plan to watch matches of all the listed nominees prior to submitting my ballot (as much as possible) and have really enjoyed this process.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally decided that I had to turn in a ballot (in the next couple of days), despite what I consider to be some serious gaps in my viewing experience. When talking to some wrestling fan friends about my hesitation to vote based on my lack of expertise, they responded with "you own like a thousand DVDs of wrestling from the 80s alone -- I can't imagine ANYONE watching more wrestling than you". That is obviously not true, but these are guys who have been watching wrestling for pushing 30 years, and would consider themselves to be nutjob fans. Add in the hundreds of hours of video I've watched online or downloaded, and I've seen some things in my time, well above and beyond what that type of fan has watched. Sure, it may not stack up to the few hundred or thousand of the most extreme fans out there, but compared to the average wrestling fan, I'm certainly on the long tail of the distribution. Hell -- when I was in Tokyo in 2014 I figured out how to buy tickets to attend a Wrestle 1 show at Korakuen Hall. That doesn't give my opinion any additional weight, but it does make me feel like I've put in the years to at least have a voice on a vote like this.

The big holdup for me was trying to figure out what areas to just cut from my voting, as I couldn't justify voting for ANYONE from an area without a more serious survey of the ENTIRE area. So anyone who might have made their case pre-1980 had to go. Same goes for Joshi workers, WoS, shoot style, post-2000 US Indy (the 15+ early/mid-2000s ROH DVDs I own were so shitty the first time I watched them I couldn't even bother to attempt a re-watch), and many more areas that had to be culled. What I'll be left with, after my final ballot is turned in over the next couple of days, will be my favorite 100 workers based on the footage I've seen enough of to feel confident that I can make an informed opinion on. It won't be what I'd like it to be, it won't be what it COULD be, but it will be my best good faith effort, and that seems like it should be enough.

Someone in another thread said they put Kana/Asuka in their top 10 and if Lance Storm had been nominated he would've been top 20. Do you think you can out weird that?

I concur (principally, because that's my list). I predict, nay hope, that my list is the weirdest.

So, El Dragon, I'll give you a peek, and see if it makes you feel better about yourself:

33. Mariko Yoshida

41. Tommy Rich

49. Michael Hayes

58. Arisa Nakajima

The only thing stopping Santino Marella being on mine is that he wasn't nominated. I love that little dude

I'm not above ranking Santino (even highly) if he books and tapes a bunch of Yuki Ishikawa matches in return. And he has that inexplicably great Elimination Chamber performance from like 2012.

I'm also curious if I'm the only person with Jeff Hardy on there ballot.

Nope. Fantastic wrestler. Natural charisma, superb look, highly influential, very graceful while still making things seem like an dangerous trainwreck, connected with the audience - one of the only 'good looking' type faces to be consistently and massively over with all demographics in WWE. He has also been involved in a ton of great matches. Even if they were often garbage prop filled stunt fests, he was still incredible at ramping up tension, danger, desperation, putting over that fatal flaw in his character where his desire to take risks and shock the audience often cost him his victory and his health. And that he was able to do that so subtly.

Matt Sydal made my list for similar reasons. Probably the most athletic, graceful flyer of this century, and the great lost sympathy face of the past few years. Incredible bumper and seller. Over the both the men and the women in the crowd, despite the insecure male crowd tending to sneer at pretty boy nice guy babyfaces.

New Jack is probably the strangest on my list, but fuck me I enjoyed watching him. Aura.